Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Next Step

I received great feedback from the column I wrote in the December issue of Pride magazine in which I asked our readers to join me in my quest to prepare and run the Thunderroad marathon in December of 2009. Many of my friends suggested that I should not "put myself out there" but I did anyway. I definitely need the encouragement and someone to hold me accountable to the declaration I made.

As of now, there are about 15 people interested in either training or actually running the marathon. I am pumped! As I mentioned in my column, I will chronicle the group's journey of
training beginning in the March 2009 issue.

My first step is to get a physical. Honestly, I normally participate in strenuous physical activity without thinking twice about seeing a physician...until I get hurt. Now, I know I must lead by example and follow the proper channels. I have solicited help from Presby's PR department to help me find a doctor who specializes in sports medicine. Presby referred Dr. Warren and I have scheduled my exam on January 6th, the same day I am meeting the folks interested in running the marathon. The article for March will focus on the importance of getting a physical and picking out the right shoe and clothing. In May, we will look at various training programs to use and discuss the proper diet and eating habits.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Torrey!!
    This is Siana. Recall that I contacted you after reading your article and we spoke for about 5 minutes. (I am the woman training for the triathlon in September'09).Perhaps your email was delivered to my spam folder, because I've received no communication from you. No worries, I've requested a resend through my email address already. I am thrilled and prepared to share in the encouragement, momentum and determination needed to accomplish our extraordinary endeavors....We will be victorious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Run Torrey Run! I'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete