Monday, July 13, 2009

RUNNING WITH A CAUSE

I am excited to announce that I will be running the Thunderoad marathon in December, to raise money for Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) via the Crescent Health Institute (CHI). Folks, sickle cell disease is alive and well! In my opinion, it does not get the press as diabetes, leukemia or cancer does. One out of every ten African Americans has the trait. Attached is more info on SCD and the medical problems that can occur. CHI is a local agency and is leading the charge to service individuals with the disease and promote sickle cell testing for couples, prior to having a baby.

Not only have I formed a team of runners, I have solicited the help of some of your favorite event promoter to form teams as well. I've been advised that I will turn a lot of people off, if I ask them to run a marathon for this cause. So, we have included a 5k and a 1/2 marathon into the mix. Hopefully, there will be hundreds more individuals who will sign up to run.

Details are forthcoming but please let me know if you are interested in running. If not for your personal health then maybe for someone else’s!

No comments:

Post a Comment